The Brandenburg Gate, the symbol of Berlin, has been restored and given a lighting makeover - using luminaires from ERCO's outdoor product range.
Carl Gotthard Langhans (1732-1808)
Kardorff Ingenieure, Berlin
Rudi Meisel, Berlin
show at Google Maps
The images that went around the world:
Hundreds of thousands of people celebrated the unveiling of the restored Brandenburg Gate on the 3rd of October 2002, the Day of German Unification, in Berlin.
To complement the lavish restoration that was befitting for such a monument, the symbol of the capital was also given a completely new, state-of-the-art lighting system. Amongst other fittings, the lighting designers at Kardorff Ingenieure, design office in Berlin also chose 70 Tesis lens wallwashers for floor installation, fitted with 35W metal halide lamps. These were assigned to the individual columns. Two Parscoop floodlights for 70W metal halide lamps are mounted in each ceiling of the five main passages and illuminate the passage wall surfaces.
ERCO lighting tools thus play a decisive part in a lighting concept whose quality does justice to the great significance of this building.
From the competitive tendering stage through to the presentation of the finished result, the designers at Kardorff Ingenieure made intensive use of the visualisation possibilities offered by modern light simulation software.
Designers can now download at any time the necessary photometric data for such calculations and simulations from Light Scout - a service from ERCO which integrates seamlessly into computer-aided design processes.
Simulation © by: Kardorff Ingenieure, www.kardorff.de
Constructed from 1788 to 1791 by Carl Gotthard Langhans in the likeness of the Propylaea of Athens, it closes off the Western end of the Unter den Linden street on Pariser Platz.
Height: 26 m, Width: 65 m
Depth of central section with its five passages: 11 m.
The 15 m tall Doric columns hewn from sandstone and fluted in Ionic style have a diameter of 1.75 m at the base.
Following the destruction of the city wall in 1867/1868, Schinkel's student Johann Heinrich Strack added the lower, open colonnades to both sides of the Brandenburg Gate in 1868.
Cost: 3.9 million Euro (56,900 hours of work)
In 22 months, the state symbol was statically secured, professionally repaired and cleaned. The work was financed by the Stiftung Denkmalschutz Berlin, Berlin's charity for the protection of monuments
Web-site of the lighting designer:
The Guide section provides thorough information on everything from the physical bases of lighting to suggested solutions for different lighting situations. The interactive knowledge modules vividly illustrate lighting solutions that are possible with this product range.
Illuminating objects and surfaces
Light to provide orientation in the outdoor area
Lighting technology for vertical surfaces
Diverse light distributions for recessed floor luminaires
Defining space through facade lighting at night
Illumination of ceilings
Eye-catching lighting effects for objects in the room and pictures
Virtual luminaires for scenic lighting of the historical monument