|Architect||Petzinka Pink, Düsseldorf|
|Lighting designer||Licht Kunst Licht, Bonn / Berlin|
|Photographer||Thomas Pflaum, Castrop-Rauxel|
The Düsseldorf architects Petzinka Pink awoke one of most impressive industrial monuments of the Ruhr Valley from its slumber, turning this Sleeping Beauty into the venue of the 'Ruhr Triennial' cultural festival.
The architects presented the festival director Gerhard Mortier (below, left with Dr. Michael Vesper, NRW minister for culture) with an extraordinary and challenging venue. This feat was achieved with the minimum of encroachment into the character of the classified historical monument, intelligently using the existing infrastructure as the basis of the stage technology and adding a futuristic extension as the entrance and foyer.
Reversible curtains allow the total area of almost 10,000 sq. m to be subdivided into three different sized halls. Even the existing cranes and crane gantries have been made into a central aspect of the overall stage concept. The scope of events held within the context of the Ruhr Triennial 2003 ranges from concerts and musicals through to plays and ballets.
A cantilevered awning with metal louvres stretches dramatically over the glass facade of the new foyer. With its flowing transition between the illuminated indoor and outdoor areas, at night this becomes a beacon visible from afar. Beamer projectors mounted in the roof mark the entrances with a lighting accent.
The traces that the wheels of time have left behind on the hall’s steelwork have been deliberately left visible. Beamer projectors accentuate the supports with grazing light.
In the undisguised raw industrial architecture, the use of low-maintenance, dust-proof outdoor luminaires with IP 65 protection mode appears most appropriate.
In the foyer, directed light from Stella spotlights located at the zenith creates a dramatic atmosphere for getting the audience in the mood for the performances.
Gahlensche Str./ Ecke Alleestr.
Petzinka, Pink und Partner, Düsseldorf
Licht Kunst Licht, Bonn www.lichtkunstlicht.de
Construction year of the historic hall: 1902
Inauguration of the converted building: 30th of April 2003
Usable area: approx. 8,000 m²