Constructed from 1788 to 1791 by Carl Gotthard Langhans in the likeness of the Propylaea of Athens, it closes off the Western end of the Unter den Linden street on Pariser Platz.
Height: 26 m, Width: 65 m
Depth of central section with its five passages: 11 m.
The 15 m tall Doric columns hewn from sandstone and fluted in Ionic style have a diameter of 1.75 m at the base.
Following the destruction of the city wall in 1867/1868, Schinkel's student Johann Heinrich Strack added the lower, open colonnades to both sides of the Brandenburg Gate in 1868.
Cost: 3.9 million Euro (56,900 hours of work)
In 22 months, the state symbol was statically secured, professionally repaired and cleaned. The work was financed by the Stiftung Denkmalschutz Berlin, Berlin's charity for the protection of monuments
Web-site of the lighting designer: