Following in-depth refurbishment, the gallery spaces of the Hamburger Kunsthalle shine in fresh colours and brilliant LED light from ERCO. Once again the outstanding quality of light of the lighting tools from Lüdenscheid was decisive.
The Kunsthalle Hamburg holds one of the most important collections of art in Northern Germany—both in terms of quality and quantity. The museum founded in the 19th century is centrally located in the Hanseatic city between the main railway station and the Alster. It consists of three striking buildings that are architecturally contrasting and yet interconnected: the so-called foundation building inaugurated in 1869, the extension building constructed from 1909 to 1921 and the Gallery of the Present opened to the public in 1996. Following completion of the overall refurbishment of the museum complex last year, the Kunsthalle now radiates in a fresh and contemporary splendour. Light from ERCO plays a central role in the heart of the museum, the gallery rooms.
The modernisation of the Hamburger Kunsthalle, which was carried out between 2014 and 2016 helped by a donation from the Dorit and Alexander Otto Foundation and with planning by the Hamburg offices of LH Architekten, consisted of a variety of conversion, extension and refurbishment measures. The return of the main entrance into the foundation building as part of this project won high public approval, and with it the spatial re-conception of the exhibition area making it more visitor-orientated. The new wall colours in the galleries of both older buildings also achieved a high degree of attention, as did the relighting in these exhibition spaces in association with extensive upgrading to energy-efficient LED light.