"Huis Marseille", Amsterdam's first museum for photography, has recently been updated by nine exhibition rooms. ERCO LED lighting tools create a visually constant framework between the old and new rooms and blend harmoniously into the architecture of the former merchant's house dating from the seventeenth century.
The Keizersgracht is the central canal of the three main canals around Amsterdam's old city center. House number 401 consists of a residence from around the year 1665. Its builder, the French merchant Isaac Focquier, had a plaque set into the classicist facade depicting the harbour in his homeland Marseille. The plaque can still be seen to this day and gives the house its name of "Huis Marseille". The building was taken over by the de Pont art foundation in 1999 and since that time has accommodated Amsterdam's first museum for photography. The collection and exhibition activities are focused on international contemporary photography from the Netherlands, South Africa and Japan.